Pages

October 22, 2008

Our Botanical Blogosphere

Members of the blogosphere comprise a select group. After all, not just anyone can have a blog. (Correction: My fact-checker assures me that anyone can have a blog. So I got this license for nothing!?)

How about this: Out of the several billion people on the planet, only a select several hundred million are bloggers. Most of those blogs are written in Japanese (not English) and the ranks of Japanese bloggers have increased by one houseplant. Known as “Midori-san,” the botanical blogger is a hoya kerrii, which is called a "sweetheart plant" for its heart-shaped leaves.
Midori-san lives in a Japanese restaurant near Tokyo, where it writes with the assistance of leaf-sensors. These sensors combine temperature and weather information with signals from the plant. All this is fed into an algorithm, and… you don’t care, do you? The result is log postings like, "Today was a sunny day and I was able to sunbathe a lot... I had quite a bit of fun today."

Another entry: Deadbeat customer tried to dine-and-ditch today. I contemplated uprooting myself for pursuit. Chose to photosynthesize instead.” (Okay, I made that up.)

Am I resentful that a houseplant’s blog draws significantly more visitors than Unexpectedly Bart!? Of course! So while I weep bitter tears, take a spin to Midori-san’s blog and enjoy the different moods (and photos!) of a hoya kerrii.

Video from the Telegraph.co.uk:

No comments: